Monday, August 2

The best vegetarian bacon pasta ever!


OK, so this was a total accident, which is why the photographic evidence is so poor. Or lacking, rather. This was Saturday night’s dinner and was so good that I couldn’t stop laughing with pleasure and rocking back and forth as I ate it. Seriously. It’s that amazingly good. Also, it’s incredibly simple. This is what you will need:

Half a red onion (preferably one that’s been sitting open in the refrigerator for a few days)
Half a red pepper (ditto)
Half (in fact, less, maybe a third?) a thing of mascarpone (ditto)
Dried oregano
Dried, crushed red chilies

Chop the onion and pepper and, while the pasta is boiling, sauté in extra virgin olive oil. Add the oregano and chilies. When the pasta is just about done, take the pepper and onion off the flame and add the mascarpone with a bit of the pasta water to loosen it. Drain the pasta and toss it in the pan, stirring it all around and coating it with the mascarpone mix. I ate the first bowl without parmesan because I didn’t think I could handle that much pleasure. By the second bowl my head was exploding and the parmesan was like a rocket of DMT up my spine and into my brain.

It tasted like it had bacon in it, but it’s completely vegetarian. Maybe you have to wait until everything is just about to go off. I definitely sniffed the mascarpone several times before using it and thought about throwing it away all together. Boy am I glad I didn’t. Do this recipe and die.

No comments:

Post a Comment